Vertente is made from grapes from the 25 year old vineyards of Quinta de Nápoles and old vines planted on the slopes of the river Pinhão, where Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz are predominant. The old vines contribute to the elegance of this wine, while the 25 year old vines give it youth.
|Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca and Others
512.50Vertente is made from grapes from the 25 year old vineyards of Quinta de Nápoles and old vines planted on the slopes of the river Pinhão, where Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz are predominant. The old vines contribute to the elegance of this wine, while the 25 year old vines give it youth. It is a wine that finds a unique balance between concentration, fruit, complexity and elegance, creating an excellent 2012 red. Made to be consumed young, it has great ageing potential.
2012 was marked by the lack of rain in the Douro region. As a result, the growing cycle began, on average, 15 days later than in previous years. Furthermore, the winter of 2012 was marked by low temperatures, enabling the vegetation to grow in an appropriate and balanced way. The ripening period was not as warm as usual and the cooler temperatures allowed the grapes to achieve good total acidity, a key factor for a fresh and balanced taste. The harvest took place in September. After selection at the vine, a second selection on the sorting table took place. 70% of the wine fermented in stainless steel wine presses, with an automatic pressing system and the remaining 30% fermented in cone-shaped stainless steel vats. The wine aged for 18 months in French oak barrels where malolactic fermentation took place.
In 2012, Vertente has a pretty ruby red colour, of medium concentration. A very fresh aroma and good complexity, marked by a mineral profile. Notes of black fruit, dark chocolate and spices. Very elegant on the palate with a good structure, without being heavy. Fine and well integrated tannins, it is a wine full of youth, with good acidity and fresh fruit. A long and elegant finish. Ideal to be drunk now, but thanks to its balance, it will have a long life in the bottle.